A dental implant is essentially a metal tooth root that’s anchored into the jaw bone. It becomes the base for fitting the tooth/ bridge. While bridges are also used to fill in gaps created by missing teeth; implants are different in that they don’t rely on the adjacent teeth for support. In addition, they are stable and permanent. Implants are the best solution for tooth loss and they also feel and look like natural teeth.
Dental implants – the procedure
- The titanium root is implanted in the bone
- It is given time to bond with the bone
- Once the area has completely healed, the prosthetic tooth is placed on top of this implant
- In some instances, more than one implant will be placed. In this case, the implants are connected using a bridge and the 2 extreme ends are then connected to the implants. This helps people avoid using removable dentures
Who is the right candidate for dental implants?
Not everyone can be a candidate for dental implants; there are certain limitations, such as:
- You should be in good health
- It’s important that you have the proper bone structure
- Your gums should be healthy as they have to hold the implant in place
- If you have any chronic illnesses like diabetes or certain problems like bruxism or clenching, this can have a negative impact in the success rate of the implant
Smokers or those who consume alcohol may not be suitable candidates for dental implants
People who have dentures can also opt for dental implants in place of their removable dentures. This process of fixing a dental implant can take up to 9 months to get completed. Every patient heals at a different rate and that is why there is a variation in time. Once the posts and the implants have been surgically placed, it can take up to 6 months for it to heal. Fitting the teeth can take over 2 months. In case the patient has good bone quality, only one appointment is required to place the posts and replace the teeth.
We provide the best treatment dental implants in our state-of-the-art clinic. For any more details about the different services we provide, contact us without delay. To schedule an appointment with one of our dentists, call us at 704-540-5440.